Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shine a Light

I was lucky enough last night to attend a special screening of the new Rolling Stones film “Shine a Light” after winning some tickets on the local radio station.
I’ve been a bit of a closet Rollin’ Stones fan ever since I seen them at the SCG back in 1995 as part of their Voodoo Lounge tour. So with an open mind I went along to what I’d call a doco/concert filmed for the big screen. The film directed by Martin Scorsese is shot at the Beacon theatre (very similar to the Enmore theatre in Sydney) in New York, back in 2006.

The movie I thought was OK, not something I’d rush out to buy. It has a lot of old footage and interviews from the bands younger years that is edited in between songs. The band plays to a packed house, which includes the then president, Bill Clinton. What stood out for me is just how old these guys are now. Obviously too much of the good life. They’ve been performing for 46 years now and with the close-up camera work they look every bit of the 60+ years of age they all must be.

It was an enjoyable night and great to bop along to their songs once again.

No comments: