Thursday, December 10, 2009

V8 Supercar - Hot Lap

For anyone who has an interest in car racing at some point you would have dreamed about doing a hot lap around a racetrack. Yesterday, my dream became a reality when I was guest at the ‘888 Vodafone Racing Team’ sponsors day. At this point I must thank my very good friend for the invitation.

With the recent crowning of the drivers championship going to 888 racing there was a certain buzz in the air as we arrived at the track. I was a little naïve to what happened at these functions but when I seen people suiting up in race suits I had to wonder if my dream would become a reality. Sure enough, I was to get that lap.

After wandering the pit garages checking out the various teams offering their sponsors the same deal I was soon filling out the necessary paperwork and being fitted for a race suit, gloves and a helmet.

Time seemed to stand still as I waited for my turn but eventually it was my turn. Butterflies, anxiety, adrenalin and excitement all seemed to describe the way I felt. Here I was, being straped into the passengers seat of Jamie Whincup’s V8 supercar. After a few last minute instructions, we were off. Entering the track the first thing to hit me was the heat, with no air being channelled in my direction it quickly became hot and stuffy. Next thing was the acceleration and braking capabilities, its flat-out or stop in these cars and no sooner did we negotiate one corner, we were preparing for the next. The car is loud, very restrictive in personal movement and very quick. It took 3-4 corners before I had time to realise this boyhood fantasy was really happening. After that, I had time to have a look around, as best I could. I couldn’t see Jamie, I could only see his hands on the wheel, the shift changes, his legwork and the small telemetry display and obviously the view straight ahead.

As we roared around the track my senses were working overtime. The temperature, the smell of ethanol, the G-forces and the view seemed the make time now go so fast. The ripple strips were thumping under my seat, the lack of body roll is incredible and then theres’ the rush of speed as we thundered down the main straight. 250km/h is apparently how fast we were going, but with nothing to gauge speed against we could have been going more or less.

No sooner did my lap start and it was time to peel back into the pits and my 2 laps were coming to an end. After shaking hands with Jamie and thanking him I dragged my sweaty body from the car. “What a rush” but how do they do it, lap after lap.

A dream became a reality, thanks Rod.

No comments: